We oppose any proposal that New Zealanders living abroad should be charged a quarantine fee when returning home.
Why is this important?
1. New Zealand has a public health system and quarantine should be funded as part of that.
2. Quarantine is for the benefit of all New Zealanders, not just those under quarantine.
3. The charging of any fee ($3000 or any other amount) affects low income New Zealanders the hardest and will provide a barrier for some people returning home from overseas.
4. Charging New Zealanders a fee to return to their country is unlawful.
5. Charging Māori a fee to return to their whenua is also a breach of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
How it will be delivered
By email to the New Zealand Government.
of 5,000 signatures
Sign the petition