ActionStation is committed to safeguarding the privacy of our website visitors. We believe you have the right to privacy on the web. This policy sets out how we will treat your personal information.
1. What information do we collect and why?
We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal data:
- Information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website including your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of page views;
- Information relating to any transactions carried out between you and us on or in relation to this website, including information relating to any contribution you make to us;
- Information that you provide to us for the purpose of registering with us e.g. your email address and other personal information when you sign up;
- Information that you provide to us for the purpose of subscribing to our website services, email notifications and/or newsletters; and
- Any other information that you choose to send to us.
2. Information security
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorised access to or unauthorised alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorised access to systems where we store personal data. We won't sell, trade or exchange your information without your permission.
ActionStation will not provide your personal information to any other organisation, with some exceptions: - Where required for financial transactions (eg. to verify credit cards); - When you choose to petition a decision-maker through our website, your name, city/town and electorate will be forwarded to the decision-maker, but not your email or physical address; - When you send an email through this site, for example to a member of Parliament, that email will come from your registered email address, not ActionStation's, and hence will include the details you provide, often including your email address and other information as required by Law in New Zealand for inclusion in petitions.
Access to personal information is restricted to ActionStation employees who need to know that information in order to run and improve our campaigns. Volunteers are really important to us, and one of the ways we keep costs down and make your donations go further. In some circumstances trusted volunteers who sign non-disclosure forms are given access to limited information for the purposes of contacting ActionStation members or improving our campaigns. All individuals with access to data are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
The ActionStation website uses "cookies" to help personalise your online experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by a web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. The purpose of a cookie is to tell the web server that you have returned to a specific page. For example, if you personalize ActionStation.org.nz pages, or register withActionStation.org.nz site or services, a cookie helps us to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of recording your personal information. When you return to the same web site, the information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the ActionStation features that you customise.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the actionstation.org.nz services or other web sites you visit.
We also use a Google service reCAPTCHA on the petition platform OurActionStation
and terms of service
4. How will we use your personal data?
- Administer the website;
- Improve your browsing experience by personalising the website;
- Enable your use of the services available on the website;
- Send statements and receipts to you, and collect payments from you;
- Send you general (non-marketing) communications;
- Send you email notifications which you have specifically requested;
- Send you marketing and fundraising communications relating to ActionStation and our campaigns, which we think may be of interest to you;
- Provide third parties with statistical information about our users - but this information will not be used to identify any individual user; and
- Deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website
- Make petition submissions to third parties, where you have signed the petition and the third party is a target of the campaign to which the petition relates
Where you submit personal information by signing a petition, your first name and last initial will be publically available for a short period of time under the list of "people who recently signed".
Where you submit personal information for publication on our website, we will publish and otherwise use that information in accordance with the license you grant to us.
We will not sell, rent or share your personal data with third party organisations.
We do not store your financial or credit card details. We have a refund policy in case you make a donation in error. If you contact us within 7 days of making the donation we will return it to you within 40 days without charge.
If we are unable to use your contribution for the purpose you specify, either because of oversubscription or for another unforeseen reason, it is our policy to use your contribution for campaign advertising, public relations, advocacy or organising activities related to the campaign that you donated to. When you make a donation not related to a specific campaign we will use our discretion to decide where those funds are allocated.
6. Other disclosures
7. Security of your personal data
We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. You are responsible for keeping your user details confidential.
8. Policy amendments
9. Your rights
On receipt of proof of identity and a written request you may have a copy of any information that we hold about you. Please e-mail [email protected]
10. Third party websites
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
11. Updating information
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you. You can also ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong, or removed if you no longer want it on our records. You can contact us at [email protected] for any requests in relation to your data.
If you consider a breach of New Zealand Privacy laws or your rights in relation to privacy has occurred, you may direct your query to us at [email protected]
and we will attempt to resolve your complaint. If you do not consider our response satisfactory, you may contact the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner at its website: http://www.privacy.org.nz/ or by telephone on 0800 803 909
For more information