To: Minister of Energy and Resources Hon Megan Woods; Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) and; Minister of Finance Hon Grant Robertson
Overhaul the electricity sector so that power is affordable for all households
- Reinstate the low user power tariff
- Regulate standard user tariff and split it up into medium, high and extra high users. This would look like:
- 0-10,000 kwh a year pay $0.30 a day
Standard medium user
- 10,001 - 20,000 kwh a year pay $0.60 a day
Standard high user
- 20,001 - 30,000 kwh a year pay $1.20 a day
Standard extra high user
- 30,001+ kwh a year pay $2.40 a day.
- Work with all power companies to create cheaper power plans for those with a community services card and gold card.
- Keep the winter energy payment
Why is this important?
With the cost of living continuing to skyrocket in New Zealand the last thing our communities need is bigger power bills.
As winter is approaching, I am especially concerned for vulnerable households, the elderly and people with medical conditions affected by the cold. By bringing back the low user power tariff you will be preventing further power poverty and financial hardship and make the electricity market more equitable.